Monday, March 14, 2011

Odds and Ends

One of the jaws on the tongs I use to make buckles broke the other day, so I had to make a new pair.  It was kind of sad, because they were the first pair of tongs I ever made.  But, I made them a little too thin and years of being heated, quenched, and beaten on finally did them in.  I made a mistake on the new pair.  Notice how the old pair has a nice taper on the reins (what blacksmiths call the handles) and the new ones don't.  Yeah, I kind of forgot they don't handle right without being tapered.  They work great, but feel just a bit heavy, so sometime I'll have to take them apart and taper them.  Man, I need a power hammer.

I've been trying to think of a use for the plug that's left over from the hole I chisel in the bottle opener buckles for a long time.  I usually just save them in cans and leave them out for the scrap metal guys, but I thought it would be cool to make them into some sort of scrap metal art.  So, I came up with these skull pendants.  I'm going to list them soon in the store and they will be under 10 bucks!

These haven't been cleaned and finished yet

I am working on an order of containers for a client in the steel industry who gives them out as corporate gifts.  They are almost done now, but here is a progress picture from last week: